Wide receiver Martavis Bryant is signing a one-year deal with the Oakland Raiders and is returning to the team that dismissed him in early September.
The information was first-hand reported by journalist Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network and confirmed by Dan Graziano of ESPN.
The Raiders previously dismissed Bryant in the final cuts before the regular season because they were worried about a possible suspension being applied by the NFL to the player and also because they needed the vacancy in the cast that was being taken up by the wideout.
A source told Graziano that Bryant and the Raiders talked about re-signing him the day he was cut through the franchise and that he is still in wait-and-see mode for a potential suspension. Watch Oakland Raiders live stream free game on your time.
‘ESPN’ reported earlier this month that Bryant violated the NFL-banned substance policy sometime during the offseason and that the league was reviewing the case.
This latest problem influenced the Raiders’ decision to dismiss him only four months after hitting a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers to acquire the talented but troubled wide receiver. The Raiders have invested a third-round pick of this year’s draft (79th overall choice) to stay with WR.
On September 2, the day after dismissing Bryant, coach Jon Gruden said, “Maybe we’ll bring Martavis back next year and we can better take advantage of him.”
Currently 26, Bryant has been suspended for the entire 2016 NFL season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy but returned last season when he made 50 receptions for 603 yards and three touchdowns in 15 shirt games of the Steelers.